New CSC video!
Serving mid-coast Maine from Wiscasset to Camden, Coastal Senior College (CSC) provides intellectual stimulation and good company through classes and special events for seniors in Lincoln and Knox counties. Volunteer-driven and managed, CSC is part of Maine’s growing Maine Senior College Network affiliated with Campuses and Outreach Centers of the University of Maine System. For an article on this national movement click here.
Highly knowledgeable instructors lead classes that typically meet for two hours during the week, usually for a full eight-week semester, which should allow you to fit at least one class into your schedule. There are no grades, exams, or term papers required!
Special events, forums, lectures, and field trips are also offered to CSC members throughout the year, often noted in one of our e-newsletters. Additional benefits of CSC membership include the opportunity to join the governing board, the operating committees, and volunteer opportunities such as planning special events, assisting instructors, and helping with office tasks.
Senior College is open to all seniors 50 years of age or more, and to their spouses or partners, who value education and have inquiring minds.
The Coastal Senior College business office is located at 91 Camden Street, Suite 402 in Rockland, Maine, on the fourth floor of the Breakwater Building in Rockland at the home of University College facilities at Rockland (URock). Click here for directions.
Where do Courses Come From?
The Curriculum Committee is responsible for the quality of our classes and is always on the lookout for new instructors with new subjects. Here is the story of one course. If you know someone with expertise and passion for a subject who may be interested in teaching for CSC, please contact a member of the curriculum committee. For more information about teaching for CSC, click here. For a summary of the Curriculum Committee process, please click here.
Fall, 2016 Adventures
Click on a selection to see more information
Registration begins September 6
- The Memoir Cafe, Dashiell
- Geology for You and Me, Farlow
- The Architecture of Christian Churches, Glass
- Maine’s Marine Wilderness: Exploring Maine’s Offshore Fishing Grounds, Huber
- Memoir Writing: Crafting your own Story from a Kaleidoscope of Memories, Janover
- Crisis of Democracy-A Discourse on the Presidential and Congressional Elections of 2016, Lavertu
- Old English Poetry: Heroes, Monsters, and the Ice Cold Sea, Nesslage
- Why Opera?, Randall
- Legal Issues in Science Fiction, Rockwood
Man’s Quest for God: Exploring Jewish Prayer, Shaw, cancelled
- Joyce’s Dubliners: A Seminar, Schramm
- Conversations on a Dead End Road, Smith
- Stories of the Sea, Stackpole
- Understanding the Quest for the Historical Jesus, Stuhlman
- Making Monsters, Breaking Rules, Ward & Ward
- Immortals We Are!, Winkes
The Membership Committee is in need of new members. Many are retiring at the end of the CSC academic year in June, including co-chair Carolyn Hardman. The Committee has been doing a great job in maintaining our database of members, and performing other important duties. One of these is the Volunteer Coordinator, who keeps track of the personnel needs of the various committees. The most vital task is someone who can help monitor our Excel membership lists. Carolyn would like at least three new members. Please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org . She guarantees that it is fun and rewarding being part of this committee!