Serving mid-coast Maine from Wiscasset to Camden, Coastal Senior College (CSC) provides intellectual stimulation and good company through classes and special events for seniors in Lincoln and Knox counties. Volunteer-driven and managed, CSC is part of Maine’s growing Maine Senior College Network affiliated with Campuses and Outreach Centers of the University of Maine System.
Highly knowledgeable instructors lead classes that typically meet for two hours during the week, usually for a full eight-week semester, which should allow you to fit at least one class into your schedule. There are no grades, exams, or term papers required!
Special events, forums, lectures, and field trips are also offered to CSC members throughout the year, often noted in one of our e-newsletter. Additional benefits of CSC membership include the opportunity to join the governing board, the operating committees, and volunteer opportunities such as planning special events, assisting instructors, and helping with office tasks.
Senior College is open to all seniors 50 years of age or more, and to their spouses or partners, who value education and have inquiring minds.
Coastal Senior College is located at 91 Camden Street, Suite 402 in Rockland, Maine, on the fourth floor of the Breakwater Building in Rockland at the home of University College facilities at Rockland (URock). Click here for directions.
Where do Courses Come From?
The Curriculum Committee is responsible for the quality of our classes and is always on the lookout for new instructors with new subjects. Here is the story of one course. If you know someone with expertise and passion for a subject who may be interested in teaching for CSC, please contact a member of the curriculum committee. For more information, click here.
CSC Enrollment History
Fall, 2014 set a record for the total number of members enrolled in CSC courses. It was also the first time we have had two classes at the same time with about 50 students each.
Spring, 2015 Adventures
There is still time to register.
Classes begin April 7
Click on a selection to see more information
- Environmental Law and Ethics, Rockwood
- The Cathedral: A Social and Architectural History, Stuhlman
- The Maine Islands: Small Communities, Big Thinking, Island Institute
- Poetry: New Perspectives, Goldsmith
- Maine Voices: Commentary, fiction, and poetry, LeGendre
- Indulging in A. Trollope or Two, M. Ward
- Celebrating William Butler Yeats, J. Ward
- Impressionism: Mostly Monet, Roos
- Editing Techniques: How to Cut and Prune Your Writing, Janover
- France From Crisis To Chaos To Absolutism, Blaisdell
- The Importance of the Heart and Lungs in Human Physiology, Burris
- Gathering the Story You Have Within You, Dashiell
- Jewish Mysticism and Contemporary Spiritual Search, Shaw
- How the Modern Documentary Can Shape the Public Mind, Solomon Cancelled
- Vexing Problems – Nature’s Answers, Kando
Course Cancellation Policy
CSC classes are cancelled if UROCK (University College at Rockland ) cancels classes, if the local school system in the town where your class is held cancels school, or if the instructor cancels class.
UROCK closings are announced on television: WCSH Channel 6, WMTW Channel 8 and WGME channel 13. Also, on the following radio stations: WNCM 93.5, WCME 96.7, WQSS 102.5 and WKRD 1450.